Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #10


Thirteen Halloween and Monster Fun Facts:

1. Orange and black are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall harvest and black is associated with darkness and death

2. Jack o’ lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.

3. In 1962, the Count Dracula Society was founded.

4. Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.

5. Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States. (and most of this stash is currently residing in my garage taunting me!)

6. Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.

7. If you see a spider on Halloween, it is the spirit of a loved on watching over you.

8. 'Halloween" was made in only 21 days in 1978 on a very limited budget.

9. Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Holloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.

10. Signs of a werewolf are a unibrow, hair palms, tattoos, and a long middle finger. (Hmmm, I may know a few!)

11. There really are so-called vampire bats, but they're not from Transylvania. They live in Central and South America and feed on the blood of cattle, horses and birds.

12. Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.

13. Halloween is the 2nd most commercially successful holiday, with Christmas being the first.


13 comments:

Mom not Mum (Sandy) October 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM  

Cool Halloween list. I'll have to say with #7 I'll know the spirit isn't my brother's because he HATED spiders. I don't think he could handle coming back as one - well maybe to scare me but.....

Robin October 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM  

Cool - I've now got loads of great trivia to share at our Halloween party tomorrow.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us October 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

GREAT list. 'Halloween" was made in only 21 days in 1978 on a very limited budget.

wow, who knew?

Anonymous October 25, 2007 at 9:25 AM  

We do not celebrate halloween but I wanted to say have a great Thursday.

Cecily R October 25, 2007 at 9:58 AM  

So if I found my kids bobbing for toys the other day because we didn't have any apples and I wouldn't let them use green tomatoes, does that count? Great list!!!

Anonymous October 25, 2007 at 10:39 AM  

I find #13 fascinating...

Susan Helene Gottfried October 25, 2007 at 11:19 AM  

I've got that same candy problem here in my own house. Think it's contagious?

And will it get better come November 1, or worse, once I see what the kids bring home?

Happy TT!

Chelle Y. October 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM  

I never knew that about the colors of Halloween!

Anonymous October 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM  

Halloween is way less stressful than Christmas!! I'm gonna do a Hallowee Thirteen next week; stay tuned!!

Believer in Balance October 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM  

My seven year old daughter is learning about bats and told me about those vampire bats. Ick.

Unknown October 25, 2007 at 1:17 PM  

Im not a big halloween person, but thanks for the info. I am a christmas griswald! Check out my thursday post!

Cynthia October 26, 2007 at 3:37 PM  

Great facts...I love Halloween. I didn't know the bobbing for apples fact!

Anonymous October 31, 2007 at 8:26 PM  

I love a great Halloween list!! I don't know -- I think getting the costumes ready is very stressful!!

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP