Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Eve of her 5th Birthday, Busy Tooth Fairy & Non-Crafty Mama

My oldest daughter is minutes away from turning 5. That in itself seems unbelievable. Tomorrow she will be a year older and on the eve of this special birthday she looses her first tooth. Its been wiggly for quite some time and it was bound to happen soon. Her big tooth has already made its appearance behind her baby tooth. Having trouble eating the past few days we convinced her that taking the tooth out would make her feel much better. To our surprise she accepted our bribe of a tooth for some M&Ms.

Toothless

As a child my mom gave me a tooth fairy pillow. I loved it. It was super cute and special. Little did I know the value in such a pillow to the Tooth Fairy. For my son we did the under-the-pillow method and the tooth fairy never had trouble getting to his bunk beds. But we were worried that the tooth fairy, even with the map Miss E drew for her, would have trouble finding her tooth. So I set out to buy a tooth fairy pillow. But alas, I couldn't find one that I liked. After a long turmoil I decided to make one myself. I am a terrible artist and don't know how to sew but I thought I would give it a go.

Here is the final product with a happy girl.

IMG_1876

And here is how I made it.

I started with two sheets of felt (per pillow, I plan do do two more for the other kids), some string and a tooth pattern that I found on the internet.

IMG_1851

I cut out the pattern and traced it onto the felt.

IMG_1852

I then cut out both of the felt pieces so that they would be the same shape. I used white for the front and pink for the back.

IMG_1853

Then I used the scrap from the pink (back) to make a pocket on the front and I stitched it onto the front panel.



IMG_1855

Next came stitching around 3/4 of the tooth.

IMG_1857

After searching two craft stores I could not find any pillow stuffing. So this old throw pillow that matched our old house gave the ultimate sacrifice to be re-born as tooth fairy pillows.

IMG_1859

I stuffed the bottom of the tooth first and continued to stitch the rest of the way.

IMG_1860

I added a handle with the scrap from the left over white felt and finished stuffing the tooth. Then I secured the handle as I finished the stitching around the top.

IMG_1861

One final touch was to draw a little face. Cause all good tooth fairy pillows need to be festive.

IMG_1865

Even though it is extremely simple and low-tech, I think she likes it anyway. Maybe I will still add a little flare but I think it came out pretty ok.

Here is the big girl after her bath admiring her new look.

IMG_1873

Tomorrow we celebrate her becoming 5 with tooth fairy excitement, cookies for her pre-school class and a special dinner with ice cream. Oh and a little trip to the Elementary school to register her for Kindergarten.

Happy Birthday Eve to my toothless almost-5-year-old.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP