Thursday, April 3, 2008

Theme Thursday - Style



This week is about style. I have to admit, I have very little of this, in my clothing, I wear little makeup and in the pictures I take. I guess my main theme would be comfortable. I wear comfortable clothes, shoes (you know what they say about women in comfortable shoes - their feet don't hurt!), and even in the pictures I take. I like natural looking photos. That seems to be my comfort zone. I follow my kids around all day with the camera in their faces to capture what I feel is their natural habitat. That way I can look back at these photos and try to recreate the memory of that time in our lives. I don't just do this with my kids either. Ever since high school I have been taking photos and recording them in a photo album turned scrapbook turned digital scrapbook. Of course lately, as with many things in my life, this hobby has turned into an obsession. Mostly to perfect my lacking photo skills and branch out into unknown territory such as portrait photography which I love. I used to like to take my kids to the photo studio to capture these moments and fill my many picture frames in my house, but since I bought my new camera, I have been challenging myself to do these sessions myself.

Anyway, what did all of that mean? Well it means this, my style changes often, mostly based on my skill level. There are things that I do now that I was not too good at before such as capturing my daughter in a candid shot doing much of nothing but she looks terribly cute anyway.

E Outside

I love natural lighting and tend to shoot most of my shots outdoors or near a large window. That is a style that I learned recently after realizing that indoor shots are just too difficult for me!

E

One of the things that makes a good picture for me is expression. I love the style of the different faces on my kids when they are at play. My son makes the most animated faces and when I grab one, I am pleased, except when that face is totally silly.

Z Outside

As I said, taking photos in natural light is a style I love, and its easier for me. But more than just the lighting, I love bright colors too. I love the way the light reflects off the blueness of my daughters eyes when she is standing in front of our windows.

E Window

But of course since I work FT and its been winter, I don't always get the luxury of shooting during the day. I still want to be the paparazzi and take many photos of my kids, so the evenings before bed is prime stalking time. I use my speed light, which I am still getting the hang of, and shoot away. Even if there is nothing special to look at and my kids are getting annoyed with me. Those are still memories I want to remember.

Kids and the Tube

These shots are not exciting or artistic by any means, maybe one day I will get much better at that, but right now I am focusing on getting the workings of my camera in terms of exposure down pat. But since my style is all about capturing the moment, these are the shots I want to remember and look back on in a few years.

Standing and Helping

So when a shot goes wrong and the colors are terribly off but I like the pose, I resort to other measures to make it look right. In general I love colorful photos first but a good contrasting BW photo is nice too.

V BW

The bottom line here is this, I'm not very stylin'. Even in my editing, some photos get frames others do not. I like variety. Mostly bright colors, a few BWs, some candid shots and hopefully once I get better, some portraits. But over all, I love the memories I am making regardless of how good the pictures turn out.

11 comments:

Stacy April 3, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

Those are great shots! Your kids are so cute...of course, you want to capture them!

I am in the same condundrum as you...I work FT, too, so in the winter it is hard to get natural light photos except on the weekends. That's why I got a speedlight. I know that as I have learned my camera my style has evolved and changed depending on what I was working on. I think I'm fairly consistent now...I think. ;)

Killlashandra April 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

I don't think you give yourself nearly enough credit, all your photographs are wonderful. I agree natural light is wonderful and you've used it really well in the pictures.
:)

Christina April 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM  

Oh, but you DO have style! Beautiful style! These are all fantastic pictures that capture who your kids really are!

Maggie April 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

Those are some gorgeous shots...and I don't think that your kiddos could be ANY cuter! You have a fantastic style!

Stacy April 3, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

I agree with the other ladies. You have a great natural style. I love the picture of your kids on the couch. I think my next step is to get a Speedlite. I'm also stuck inside because of the weather and I have indoor pics.

chaoticfamily April 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

Love all of those photos - you have a great style!

Unknown April 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM  

I think you have a wonderful style! And your "gaggle" is one gorgeous bunch of kids!

What camera and speedlight do you shoot with? I think a speedlight is my next purchase. I tend to only shoot outdoors or near windows - but would like a little more flexibility...

Andi April 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM  

Sometimes it is difficult to put a label on a style, but you certainly have it! Wonderful photos-

Kim April 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

I love the one of them on the couch. I love the natural light as well, and hardly ever use flash. I think it just kills the mood.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us April 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

I'm with you! I'll take comfort anyday. Those shots are spec.tac.u.lar. I LOVE those catchlights.

And winter sucks the donkey for natural light here too - luckily my speedlight with a good diffuser on assists quite a bit!

Rose April 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM  

I like casual and comfy any day, too! You have great photos and style. After all I know a couple of your shots are my all time favs that make me smile any time I look at them!

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP