Monday, December 10, 2007

A Spider in the Projection TV?!?

About two months ago, hubby and I were chillin' downstairs watching our big screen (as we do every night after the kids to go bed) and we noticed the biggest creepy crawler we've seen in a while going across the screen. Hubby immediately jumps up and grabs a wad of tissues and attempts to swat at the TV to crush large man-eating spider. Just as he gets to the TV, it crawls off the screen and out of sight. We look on the floor and behind the TV for a while with no luck. But of course we were both freaked out by the size of this monster spider that we hesitantly sit back down and continue to watch. Mr. Spidey didn't return. The next night, Mr. Enormous Hairy spider reappears to interrupt our TV time once again. The wad of tissues still by the recliner, Hubby jumps up again to fight with eight legs that look like they could swallow him whole. Running up to the TV, careful not to totally knock it off the stand, the spider manages to crawl out of sight once again. We scratch our heads and wonder how we could have missed such a large spider vanishing into thin air, until it hits us. Mr. Home Invader is INSIDE our TV! What a sly and cunning spider to be sitting there, mocking us making us look like the idiots. Acting like a dog chasing around a pen light trying to bite it or a cat following the cursor on a computer screen, hubby and I look like crazy people trying to chase this large, crawling spider across the glass wondering why we cannot catch him.

So this game goes on for a while, spider appears we say, "Hey, it looks like he is on the outside this time", only to jump up and be fooled, yet again by our oh-so-smart TV guest. Mr. Spidey is probably a very tiny sole but since he is being projected on the face of our TV screen he of course looks like he is the size of our dogs.

Then it becomes a game. Odds have it that when spidey appears, my camera would be way upstairs.
Hubby: "Look there he is right in the middle of the screen".
Me: "Crap, my camera is upstairs, think he will sit there while I go get it?"
Hubby:"Dunno" and goes back to reading his computer.
I consider running up and down the stairs to grab my camera while I try to judge how fast he is moving and usually say, "Ah, screw it, be right back". When I get back downstairs, out of breath and ready to pass out (need to start exercising again) I say to hubby, "Well, he still there?"
To which he usually replies, "You just missed him".
Me: "Crap!"

Until last night. He reappeared while we were all comfy on the couch. I played the above scenario and ran to get my camera. Of course he was gone when I returned but 10 min later, he decided to show off and sit on the screen long enough for me to snap this first shot of him while watching "Brothers and Sisters on our TiVo". This unimpressive shot makes Mr. S look real tiny since he seemed to be walking on the glass of the TV instead of being projected 5x's its size.

We often wonder how long he can live in there. What's he eating? Has he spun tons of webs? What about babies...ugh.

Does anyone know how to get a spider out of a TV??

15 comments:

Toni December 11, 2007 at 4:35 AM  

Oh, I wish I could help you here. I don't know what I would do in this case because I hate spiders. Really. Hate. Spiders.

I might have to give the TV away just in case there is an entire nest of the creepy buggers in there. Oh, God. I am getting chills just considering this possibility.

Good luck to you....

MamaGeek @ Works For Us December 11, 2007 at 2:12 PM  

NO. WAY.

I'm with Toni. Throw it out. I jest, assign this task to your husband. :)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us December 11, 2007 at 2:12 PM  

And again I say.

NO. WAY.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys December 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM  

that is so freaky and creepy...OMG I don't know how.

There would have to be two to have spidey s * x to make babies.

Unknown December 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM  

Oh MY Gawd!! I have been the victim of not one but two poison filled arachnids. I am NOT okay with them. Oh, I hope you figure out how to get him out. EYYYIIII

Arizaphale December 20, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

Er....sorry but he looks reeeeally tiny there. Come to Australia and unroll an outdoor blind to have a hand sized huntsman spider drop out at your feet!!!!! Perhaps your spider is a male..therefore....no babies :-)

Anonymous December 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM  

OMG! I had to Google and find you, because I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I have a 56" projection TV, and we have had not one, but sometimes THREE AT A TIME crawling across that screen! Two smaller ones, and ONE FAT HAIRY ONE! Yes, a small family. Talk about freaking out. What do they want back there? Is there a nest??? God help me, I payed $3,000 for this set! They better not be slowly ruining it! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! Can I kill them with spray without harming my set??? I doubt it, and I'm not going to try it, but I'm getting a bit desperate here!!!

afrsss January 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

OMG! EXACT same thing just happened to us this morning! same size TV too! I thought it was only 1 big one but just as I screamed for my husband, I saw a little tiny one too! Somebody help us!!!!!!!!!

Patti May 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

We have experienced the same problem - 61" & all of a sudden over the last few nights this spider appears - thought at first it was one of those creepy commercials - has anyone figured out what to do?

Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

Head Gaggler, Did you ever figure out how to get rid of the spider? I have the same issue with my 60 inch flat screen. Its creepy!!

Anonymous July 3, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

I have a 61' hd tv and have the same issue. Recently the spider went from it's grape sized projection to a big black blob, which is now bigger than an apple! It seems to only come out during the day. How can we get rid of these things? It seems almost impossible for them to get inside the tv. We've only had the tv since January.

Unknown December 6, 2008 at 12:31 AM  

I have a Samsung HLS-5679W 56" LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV. I too, have a spider living in my TV. I did a google search hoping to find a solution to the problem. While it's nice to see I'm not alone, it's slightly disheartening to see that no one posted a solution as of yet. Did anyone find a fix? Please tell me they'll starve to death and not multiply.

Anonymous January 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM  

I have a 51in rear projection TV that has had a damn spider in it since October.... OMG, I can't stand it - I hate spiders, and my hubby and I cannot figure out a way to get rid of it... We have temporarity named her "Spidey" in (my) hopes of with a name and my luck she'll just die...but alas...tonight, she's fiestier than ever... Any suggestions as to how to get rid of her would be greatly appreciated! :-)

May Shelley June 16, 2009 at 1:53 AM  

Oh My gosh! The same thing happened to me. Any clues?

Anonymous June 26, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Ha ha a spider just showed up on our screen last night I do not think my husband will be able to keep from ripping the tv apart. this bug does not help his Call of Duty game!

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP