Thursday, October 2, 2008

Theme Thursday - Multiples



What a good way to show off multiples than taking multiple shots of my multiple kids. This is by far the hardest thing for me as a mom, getting them all together. Something is usually wrong with the shot, one (or more) isn't looking at me, my focus is off or they are running out of frame. Here are three attempts of getting them all in one shot from last night. Can you spot what is wrong with these??

Focus on three kids stinks

Getting them to all look at me is impossible

Goofy Bunch

I took a chance and thought if Mr. Z was holding Miss V. she would sit still for a shot. It worked, kinda.

So anyway, getting onto part two of the Multiples, how I process multiple photos at once. I usually shoot in Raw so I upload the shots from my camera and import them directly into Lightroom before I do anything else. From there, I look at each one and pick a few I would like to process. The one think I love about Lightroom are the presets. I have a bunch that I toy around with. Some give me the real warm glow and some add vignette. I like the ones that reduce noise and up the exposure, cause even though I try to avoid it, I am still underexposing my shots. I also crop in Lightroom (usually keep the same photo ratio) so that when I choose the preset, if there is a vignette, it will be on the cropped in shot.

For the above shots I used three different Lightroom presets. I liked the initial look of these. Then I played with the WB (I haven't ventured into custom WB yet) and exposure. Sometimes I use Lightroom to do my noise reduction but othertimes I use my plug in later. Once I am done with the Lightroom processing, I send these to PS. In PS I either run an action to make the shot brighter or in some cases hazey (cause I like that look). I also play with the levels and/or curves to get the exposure just right. I add a contrast layer and sometimes a hue/saturation layer and then flatten. From here I run a sharpen and add my watermark. I will save the file as a copy of the original just incase I want to go back and re-PP. I also know that since I still have the Raw file and Lightroom does not change that, I can start from the beginning and do it all over again if I want to.

So that's my workflow for multiple shots. I am getting more pleased with my PP but its still a work in progress. Some days I think they all look great. Some days, like last night, I am not all that happy with the results. I am sure I will get in more of a groove and like my processing more and more each time I do it.

6 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us October 2, 2008 at 8:37 AM  

LOVE these shots, this is how I feel just trying to get my toddler and dog into a shot. OY!

And I HIGHLY recommend a custom WB, it is the single biggest improvement I noticed when starting out. Go get a gray card or custom WB lens cap. Granted you can modify it later if you shoot in raw - but that assumes you have middle gray to set it to - hence the gray card/custom wb.

SORRY for rambling!

Stacy October 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

Well, even though you only have one girl that is smiling and looking at mama in every shot...they are ALL CUTE. :)

I downloaded the Lightroom trial so I need to try that out. I only have 30 days, so I need to get on that! I haven't done custom WB yet either. I need to get a gray card.

Jen October 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

I am still struggling with the processing aspect as well. I love that last shot. It's hard fgor me to get my two kids to pose for me. I can't imagine trying to get three to sit still.

Killlashandra October 2, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

Love your tie in for multiple shots with multiple forms of editing. Nice connection and sounds like a great work flow process too. Don't have lightroom, but I do use the same steps repeatedly when I first edit an image in photo shop too. :)

Rose October 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM  

Great shots of the kids - even if they are not ALL looking at the camera. I love my lightroom, but after some color issues my Camera Raw isn't working in Lightroom. And after a 5 hour day on the phone with Dell, Adobe and my tech guy a couple months ago, I never revisited the issue.

Jaimee October 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

You got some great ones...definitely difficult to get 3 kiddos together! I love LR for a lot of those same reasons...especially since you can easily start over!

I haven't messed with custom white balance in shooting since I shoot in RAW too and can easily adjust the tone in LR...That is probably one of my favorite things about LR! Plus, the way it backs-up your photos automatically....that is great too!

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP