Wednesday, January 30, 2008

TT # 24



Thirteen things I am noticing about the American Judicial system, as seen by a lowly Juror doing her civil 'duty'.

  1. Court buildings are very old.
  2. Court buildings are very cold. (see #1)
  3. There can be lots of boring down time, until they call for you and then you rush in to the court room in an instant.
  4. It can take 5.5 hours to pick 15 Jurors out of 85 potential people.
  5. I can read a whole James Patterson book in the time it takes to pick a Jury.
  6. Apparently I have a like-able appearance to be selected by both the Prosecutor and the Defendants Attorneys to sit on the Jury.
  7. These Attorneys are real strong since they must bring in and out about 1,254 lbs of books, papers, pictures, files and posters each day to the court room.
  8. I wonder if the attorneys get writers cramp from all the notes they take?
  9. The attorneys must get tired of saying the same boring phrases over and over again, such as "I now add this exhibit into evidence", "Can you tell me if this picture depicts the scene correctly?", "The court's indulgence, Your Honor".
  10. Without the extreme drama and hot actors, real court is just like what you see on TV, except MUCH longer.
  11. The Judge taking notes on his laptop behind the bench surprises me.
  12. The chairs that the Jury sit on are very uncomfortable.
  13. And finally, being a Juror makes me realize that I am not nearly organized enough to ever consider a job change to be a Lawyer.

12 comments:

Anonymous January 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Absolutely no envy, HG! {{praying I don't get called for jury duty}}

Susan Helene Gottfried January 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Good for you for serving! Once #2 is in school full-day (next year), I'd love to have the experience of jury duty.

Or so I say now!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us January 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

So I take it you were a tad cold? :)

Melanie January 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM  

I was called in for jury duty and forgot my book...oh the HORROR!! Talking about boredom. I will never make the same mistake again! I will be ready.

Anonymous January 31, 2008 at 12:59 AM  

I am immune from jury service but I think I'd find it interesting.

Darla January 31, 2008 at 7:12 AM  

I've never been called for jury duty--thanks for letting me experience it vicariously through you! :)

Toni January 31, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

I had forgotten about the coldness. I sat on a jury at this time of year, too, and was so cold I had to fight to stay awake. Thankfully, I was an alternate so my attention to every detail wasn't as crucial.

suchsimplepleasures January 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

i am so thankful that i haven't gotten called for jury duty, yet...but now, i'm sure i just jinxed myself!!
happy tt!

ellen b. January 31, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

What a great way you brought your experience as a juror to a TT.

Unknown January 31, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

Have never been called for jury duty and hoping I don't.

Your list has sealed that desire.

Tasina January 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM  

What a great list. I liked doing jury duty - just to see what the process was like. It did get a little boring, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Great post.

Anonymous January 31, 2008 at 7:48 PM  

Thanks for doing your civic duty. I seldom get called to even answer questions.

Happy TT.

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP