Thursday, July 17, 2008

Theme Thursday - Unrefined (i.e. RAW)



I decided this week to focus on the aspect of raw shooting instead of the unrefined theme since I recently got some new presets for Lightroom. I rarely shoot in raw unless I am really interested in having the most flexibility in my editing. I am generally scared of raw since I know Lightroom (or ACR) pretty much nill, plus raw files are ginormous, but I wanted to practice with presets.

I set out to take a handful of shots in raw and use different Lightroom presets on each of these. After I applied the preset, I sent the images to jpg in PS and did some additional final tweeking. I have to say using the presets were tons of fun. I hope to perfect this editing soon.

First Fruit
This is the first fruit we are seeing from the trees we planted in the fall. This preset brightened up the blue sky and green leaves.

Dead can be Beautiful
I have absolutely no idea what this plant once was but I thought it made for a good photo. This preset changed the background to a warmer mauve which I loved.

E Pose
Of course I had to throw in the kids. This preset did a general color pop.

V Pose
And the baby. This preset softened her some and made her 'glowy'.

Girls Outtake
And one outtake. There is so much wrong with this shot, including the toy curling iron, but I liked it anyway. This preset gave the photo an overall pink tone.

I continue to practice with my raw skills. If anyone has some tips for me, please share.

12 comments:

Toni July 17, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

No advice here but I think you are doing extremely well...

Christina July 17, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

I just started working with RAW this past week, too - it's been fun, and not nearly as difficult as I made it out to be. These are all great images! I've never worked much with LR so it's intereting seeing what it can do.

Stacy July 17, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

Great job!! That second "pod" shot is just so cool...love it. *sigh* you all are making me feel guilty for not being on the ball enough. I think I will try shooting RAW this weekend and see what happens.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us July 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

These are FANTASTIC! I just can't get over how much your youngest looks like you! And the pod? NEAT!

I have always shot in RAW because it gives you so much more flexibility AND (BONUS) it saves all your changes that can always be reverted to. Also, Canon, offers addition picture styles you can download for free that you can apply (in firmware) and/or DPP afterwards that are kinda creative.

And, since you asked, 2 pro photographers I learned from (and respect out the ying yang) swear that shooting in RAW and converting to JPEG in DPP (before even going to LR - which I don't have yet) gives you the highest image quality bar none (speaking for Canon only).

MamaGeek @ Works For Us July 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Oh Good Lord, that was way too much info wasn't it? OY.

Mom2Mom Ministry July 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

I think you did a good shot. Funny how so many seem scared of RAW. I think I was more scared of the manual settings on my camera than the RAW format. I've used RAW several times and like it a lot. The editing is where I get a little bogged down.

Keep on shooting!
Julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juliestew

Megan July 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM  

love the pod shot, especially. i have been procrastinating with my RAW trial...you have inspired me :).

chaoticfamily July 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM  

They are all wonderful!

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/

have fun!

iMother2.0 July 17, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

Lovely! I'm trying to talk myself into taking the RAW plunge :)

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

Nice work! Love your shots and aren't the presets so handy? Be sure to download some too from around the web. Just do a search for "free lightroom presets" and you'll find a ton. The best part about working with RAW in lightroom is that the original file is untouched. LR only saves the changes you make (the values) so you can always revert to the original. Here's a cool tip I just learned. Press the "\" key while you're editing. It toggles between the before and after. :)

Jaimee July 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

These look awesome! Are you using just the standard presets, or ones you found somewhere? I haven't had nearly this good of result when using the presets I have...but maybe it is my version of LR?

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my family blog. I am a mom to three, work FT and love to take pictures. Please visit my website to see more of my work.

Followers

Bloom

The Bloom Forum

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP