Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Thursday, October 25, 2007
2. Jack o’ lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.
3. In 1962, the Count Dracula Society was founded.
4. Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.
5. Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States. (and most of this stash is currently residing in my garage taunting me!)
6. Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.
7. If you see a spider on Halloween, it is the spirit of a loved on watching over you.
8. 'Halloween" was made in only 21 days in 1978 on a very limited budget.
9. Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Holloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.
10. Signs of a werewolf are a unibrow, hair palms, tattoos, and a long middle finger. (Hmmm, I may know a few!)
11. There really are so-called vampire bats, but they're not from Transylvania. They live in Central and South America and feed on the blood of cattle, horses and birds.
12. Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
13. Halloween is the 2nd most commercially successful holiday, with Christmas being the first.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
1. They sent home a permission slip for the first field trip. Its to a local farm that is doing a presentation and tour about Native Americans. I am all for it, sounds like a good time. Until I read the part that it costs $11.00. Does that seem high to anyone? $11.00 for a bus ride that I calculated the miles on - 5.8 - and admission to this farm that costs $7.00 (or $7.50 if they included the corn maze which wasn't mentioned). You know, I hate to be one of THOSE parents who think everything is too expensive and refuse to send my child, but c'mon. It seems as though all I am doing is sending money to that school for fund-raisers, a headset for media use (which is OK cause I am not fond of sharing between kids), lunches, snacks, PTA fees....its endless. Now another $11.00? I realize that this is a Public school (yes, yes I send my child to the public schools because we specifically live in this high-rent county because of the good schools) and I pay tons of taxes (which I am not naive enough to think that our taxes alone are enough to keep the school system afloat) but really - we bought everything for this child in the way of school supplies and yes he does bring home some materials that we didn't buy for him each and every day (this school spends way too much money on printed
#2. In Z's K class, I am allowed to send a snack for afternoon time that they get to eat in their class. This snack must be nut free and not messy. OK, so for a child who is as picky as him, I have troubles coming up with good ideas. Yesterday I sent Doritos (I know, not a very healthy choice but again, this child will NOT eat fruit). The bag was untouched. I needed to find out from my 5 year old that Doritos is too messy. There will be crumbs therefore he was not allowed to eat them. WTH? Doritos, really? Why can't the teacher send something home for me spelling out what is considered good and what is too messy for her? I shouldn't have to find out from my kid. Today, its Cheese Its. Well see if those are too crumby for her.
My daughter loves Pez and this is her favorite dispenser. Hubby and I were thinking about ways to motivate her into wanting to go on the potty all.the.time instead of when she feels like it. She started off training with a bang, doing real well and we thought this would be easy. But alas, months later she is still pooping in her diaper.
We crack out Miss Pez last night after dinner and her eyes lit up, she's a real die-hard Pez fan. So we think we hit the jackpot with the candy
bribery reinforcement. We explain that when she goes pee she gets 1 Pez and for Poop she gets 3. Well, she didn't get it at first.
"But I want her"
"I need her"
"Cinderella isn't going Potty"
We explain that is HER who needs to go potty to get some Pez. Then she asks if Cinderella Potty can can watch her go potty. We tell her sure and she proceeds to go sit on the throne. Ten minutes later she announces that she is done and has peed and pooped. On closer inspection, she has done neither. So no Cinderella Potty Pez for her. Meanwhile (as a non-thinking bad parent does), Z is diving into his Pez that we let him have while E gets none. Of course she gives us those eyes - you know the ones, and we explain that Cinderella Potty Pez only pays out for Big Girls who actually go on the potty and not just talk about it. So, no Pez for E. But she did go potty this morning when we got her up. I kept my word and Miss E had 1 Pez for breakfast. We'll see how this goes. Wish is luck!
Monday, October 22, 2007
I have been tagged with an All About Me from What Works for Mom. (don't worry, I don't hate you - these can be fun!).
I chose Meme #2:
Meme #2 - 4 Questions & Answers
4 jobs you've had:
1- I also was a babysitter
2- Rental Movie Store Cashier
3- Re-stocker at the college library
4- Collections Agent for a credit card company
4 movies I could watch over and over
1- 40 year old Virgin
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Spinal Tap
4 tv shoes I watch
1- The Office
2- Grey's Anatomy
3- Brothers and Sisters
4- Nip Tuck
4 places I've lived
1- College Dorm
2- Apartment with Roomates
3- Apartment alone
4- My house with my family
4 favorite foods
1- Chicken Soup
3- Chinese food (pretty much anything)
4- Brownies (is that considered a food?)
4 favorite colors
4 places I'd love to be right now
3- Grand Cayman
4 names I love but could/would not use for my children
Friday, October 19, 2007
I got some treats this Friday. Deb from Mom of 3 girls gave me this treat for commenting on her blog this week. Thanks so much!! Now I get to pass it on to 5 people who commented on my blog from this week. So this goes to: TuttleTime, Secret Agent Momma, Believer in Balance, Mamacita Tina, and Jackie from Call me When you get There.
Thanks for all of your comments this week!!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Monday, October 15, 2007
Posted by Head Gaggler at 10/15/2007
Sunday, October 14, 2007
I was working in the laundry room when my hubby ran out of the power room yelling:
L - "OMG, I think I just flushed the van keys down the toilet!"
Me - jaw dropping to the floor, "Uhh what did you say?"
L - "Yup, something splashed as I was flushing and I saw a black object head down."
Me - "Are you kidding me?? You sure it went down? Can we get it back?"
L - "It definitely went down and unless you want to go swimming in the septic tank, no we cannot get them back."
Me - "Oh. Well. I am shocked the toilet works that well."
I guess I need to figure out how much replacement keys cost.
Saturday, October 13, 2007
Friday, October 12, 2007
Progress from this week:
Current Weight= 131.9
Goal Weight = 119
Pounds to go = 12.9
Exercise this past week = (I have nothing to say here.....)
Diet = Low Carb, mostly.
Pant size - 10 & 8 mostly
Thursday, October 11, 2007
As named by my son. He wanted to name the scarecrow Max and the pumpkin had to rhyme so Flax was the choice. My scarecrow making skills are much to be desired but at least it looks like a person....right?? It was fun anyway.
I thought these were very interesting:
2. Coca-Cola, "The pause that refreshes", D'Arcy Co., 1929
3. Marlboro, The Marlboro Man, Leo Burnett Co., 1955
4. Nike, "Just do it", Wieden & Kennedy, 1988
5. McDonald's, "You deserve a break today", Needham, Harper & Steers, 1971
6. DeBeers, "A diamond is forever", N.W. Ayer & Son, 1948
7. Absolut Vodka, The Absolut Bottle, TBWA, 1981
8.Miller Lite beer, "Tastes great, less filling", McCann-Erickson Worldwide, 1974
9.Clairol, Does she...or doesn't she?", Foote, Cone & Belding, 1957
10.Avis, "We try harder", Doyle Dane Bernbach, 1963
11.Federal Express, "Fast talker", Ally & Gargano, 1982
12. Apple Computer, "1984", Chiat/Day, 1984
13. Alka-Seltzer, Various ads, Jack Tinker & Partners; Doyle Dane Bernbach; Wells Rich, Greene, 1960s, 1970s
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
This is my creation.
What can you create? Post a link to yours. Follow the link below.
Mr Picasso Head
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
From the mouth of E (2 year old):
Navigation playing the the background while we are driving - "Turn right at the next street"
E - "Daddy, turn right"
L - on the phone ignoring both E and the Nav
Nav - "Turn right"
E - "Daddy, it said to turn right"
L - "UGH, I missed my turn!"
E - "Daddy, I told you to turn right!"
E sees a motor-home driving toward the camp ground towing a car behind it.
E - "Look mommy, there's a camper!"
Me - "Yup that's a motor-home"
E - "Mommy, its going backwards! Isn't that silly!"
L - "Oh Shit!"
E - "What's wrong Daddy?"
L - "Nothing, sweetie"
E - "But Daddy you said Shit!"
L - "Everything is fine, and don't say that word!"
"Sign Stop" = Stop Sign
"Training Potty" = Potty Training
From the mouth of Z - the 5 Year Old
Z - "Mom, when you were little, they didn't have phones, did they?"
Me - "WHAT? Of course they did"
Z - "Oh really?"
Me - "Z, how old do you think I am?"
Z - "I don't know, 20?"
Me - "They did have phones when I was little. But when Double Bubbe (my grandma) was little, they didn't have them."
Z - "Oh"
Got a note from his PE teacher one day that read:
"Z should not be showing his underwear to his peers. Please remind him to keep his shirt down and his pants up".
When I asked him about it, all I got was an "I don't know".
Friday, October 5, 2007
Progress from this week:
Current Weight= 132.2
Goal Weight = 119
Pounds to go = 13.2
Exercise this past week = Still getting over being sick. (or just making up excuses)
Diet = Low Carb, mostly.
Pant size - Wearing my 8 capri jeans today. :)
Goal for next week = Exercise while hubby out of town.
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Thirteen Funny One Liners, as found on the Internet.
1. Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurantlike having a peeing section in a swimming pool?
2. Red meat is not bad for you Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.
3. Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to produce reproductive organs.
4. Hard work never killed anyone, But why chance it?
5. MEETINGS: A practical alternative to work.
6. I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day.Tomorrow is not looking good either.
7. How come we have to choose from just 2 persons for president,and 50 for Miss America?
8. Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
9. I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
10. When things look dark,hold your head up high so it can rain up your nose.
11. Don't sweat the petty things. Don't pet the sweaty things.
12. Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.
13. If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Here is my latest
obsession hobby. I have always loved to scrapbook. My kids each have baby books and then I have a kids combined book for beyond the first year and family vacations. But even though I have a desk with all of my supplies, I tend to get behind and quickly fill it up with pages from the last 4-6 months. However, recently I have discovered the fun of doing it all digitally. Now I never was very good at this non-digitally so I didn't expect miracles to happen now that I am using a computer. But its fun and easy.
Here is one of my first attempts. What do you think, good enough to continue or should I go back to the old fashioned way with scissors and glue?